Waynedale residents turned out en masse on Sunday, June 5, 1949 for what was unquestionably the biggest community whoopdedoo they ever had. It was the dedication of the new $7,000 Waynedale Memorial Park.
Max Merrill, commander of Waynedale’s American Legion Post 241 and trustees of the park, Edgar B. Noble, Jr., Chairman and Paul C. Crall, Secretary-Treasurer, presented Waynedale Boy Scout Troop No. 44 with the official flag for the community’s new recreational site.
Lawrence Warner’s speech was titled, This Is Your Park.
Music was played by the American Legion Band Post No. 47 from Fort Wayne. Speech-makers did themselves proud, and folks munched on hotdogs, while they observed the grand opening of their new park made solely possible through their own hard work.
A softball game was organized by James Mason–American Legion Post 241 vs. Veterans of Foreign Wars at 3pm. At 4pm there was a Hot Rod Demonstration and at 4:30pm another softball game, with Horseshoe Pitching in the park throughout the afternoon.
In August of 1951 the Women’s Christian Temperance Union held their regular monthly meeting at the home of Mrs. Myrtle Mason on Ideal Avenue. They voted to sponsor a water fountain in the Waynedale Memorial Park.
All the donations were made by organizations and people that wanted to see the women succeed.
The fountain was purchased and cement work was done on October 20, 1951. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union installed the fountain in honor of Frances Williard, their great national Temperance leader.