Registration is open for the Allen County Bar Foundation’s annual six-week Constitution 101 course, which starts Oct. 1.
This popular non-credit class uses the high school “We The People: The Citizen and the Constitution” textbook as the curriculum. Robert Leming, the Center for Civic Education’s national director of the We The People program, will be the instructor again.
The non-partisan course includes a lecture and discussion format. Topics to be covered include:
• The historical and philosophical foundations of the American political system,
• How the framers created the 1787 constitution,
• How and why the constitution has been amended,
• Understanding federalism and the separation of powers,
• An examination of the Bill of Rights, and
• Looking to what’s ahead for America’s foundational document.
“The Allen County Bar Foundation’s mission is to educate the public about the law and the legal system. With the constitution as America’s foundational document, we’ve found the general public is seeking informational clarity,” said Rachel Blakeman, ACBF board president. “This class isn’t structured as a debate; rather it gives attendees needed context that’s hard to find elsewhere.”
The classes are 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Oct. 1 through Nov. 5 at the downtown Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza Meeting Room C. The cost is $50 and includes the textbook and handouts. Space is limited so early registration is encouraged.
Registration is available at www.allencountybar.org/allen-county-bar-foundation/.
The Allen County Bar Foundation is partnering with the League of Women Voters of Fort Wayne, the Mike Downs Center for Indiana Politics at Purdue University Fort Wayne, and the Allen County Public Library to hold this year’s class.
> Read More Information About Us
> More Articles Written By Our Staff
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- LET’S MAKE 2020 THE YEAR OF COMMUNITY - December 20, 2019
- ALLEN COUNTY SPCA HASRECORD-SETTING #GIVINGTUESDAY - December 20, 2019
- 750 MEMORIAL WREATHS PLACEDBY FT WAYNE CIVIL AIR PATROL - December 20, 2019