Norwell had been on a mission since coming in second in State last year to Jasper with a score of 13-12. Now, just one year later with 34 games in their back pocket, they were trying for that last elusive victory. Norwell had defeated Luers in the Regional and then went on to defeat Plymouth in the Semi-state, on Saturday, June 9.
There had been a tremendous amount of pressure on the entire Norwell team as their ace pitcher Jarrod Parker was recently chosen 9th in the Major League Baseball Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks. It was a relief for everyone once the draft was over. It allowed the team to get back to the job at hand, which was attempting to win the 2007 3A Indiana State Baseball Championship.
Parker is 6-foot-1, 173 pounds, and can throw the ball 97mph. He had a 10-0 record this year, allowing only three runs for a .13 earned run average. He struck out over 100 hitters on his way to the state championship game and he and his teammates had created a tremendous fan base for the final outing.
Parker helped the team in the first inning by hitting a two-run homer over the left field fence. His team then scored three runs in the second, against a very talented Mater Dei team.
Norwell dug a hole for themselves in the fourth inning, but with the bases loaded and two outs, Parker pitched his way out of trouble by getting Mater Dei to fly out to right field.
Norwell won the state championship game at Victory Field House in Indianapolis.
Baseball MLB 2007 DRAFT
1. Tampa Bay, David Price, lhp, Vanderbilt
2. Kansas City, Michael Moustakas, ss, Chatsworth (Calif.) HS
3. Chicago Cubs, Josh Vitters, 3b, Cypress (Calif.) HS
4. Pittsburgh, Daniel Moskos, lhp, Clemson
5. Baltimore, Matt Wieters, c, Georgia Tech
6. Washington, Ross Detwiler, lhp, Missouri St.
7. Milwaukee, Matt LaPorta, lf, Florida
8. Colorado, Casey Weathers, rhp, Vanderbilt
9. Arizona, Jarrod Parker, rhp, Norwell (Ind.) HS
- Blood Drive In Honor Of Brain Aneurysm Survivor - November 19, 2021
- County Highway Department Prepared For Winter Weather - November 19, 2021
- Erin’s House Lights Of Love Memorial At Parkview Field - November 19, 2021