Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana (BBBSNEI) honored its many volunteers with a recognition dinner at the Ramada Inn and Conference Center on Thursday, July 12. Over 300 of the Agency’s “Bigs,” “Littles,” donors, board, and staff members attended the dinner to recognize the outstanding achievements of its volunteers in the past year.
In addition to hosting a 1950’s themed dinner for its Bigs and Littles, BBBSNEI recognized the service anniversaries of those who have volunteered for 1, 5, 10 and 45 years. Long time Big Brother, Buford Baker, celebrated 45 years as a volunteer for BBBS, since 1973.
The Agency also announced the recipients of awards for excellence in volunteerism in several program categories: Big Brother of the Year, Big Sister of the Year, Big Couple of the Year, School Buddy Big of the Year, and Real Men Reader of the Year. The winners were selected by a panel of judges based on the following criteria: match duration, number of previous matches, background of youth, match relationship, match achievements, other involvement with the Agency, cooperation with match support and an overall view of the match.
The 2018 Big of the Year recipients are:
– Big Brother of the Year Don Armstrong and Little Brother Logan, Whitley County, Matched since 2010
– Big Sister of the Year Barbara Wolf and Little Sister Carmen, Noble County, Matched since 2008
– Big Couple of the Year Troy and Michelle Hartman and Little Sister Shawnna, Huntington County, Matched since 2008
– School Buddy Big of the Year Kathy Pargmann and Little Sister Mackenzie, Allen County, Matched since 2013
– Real Mean Reader of the Year Bob Walters, Allen County, Reading since 2009