The poinsettia is the most widely tested consumer plant on the market today, proving the myth about the popular holiday plant to be false: The Poinsettia History and Legend Poinsettia Care Tips Toxicity Myth
Provided by: Society of American Florists, 1601 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 www.aboutflowers.com
With the permission from the Society of American Florist Association, I again give you the proof you need
to feel safe from the rumors that insist poinsettias are poisonous…they are not poisonous.
Scientific research from The Ohio State University has proved the poinsettia to be non-toxic to both humans and pets. All parts of the plant were tested, including the leaves and sap.
According to POISINDEX, the National information center for poison control centers, a child would have to ingest 500-600 leaves in order to exceed the experimental doses that found no toxicity.
A study from the Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University found that out of 22,793 reported poinsettia exposures there was essentially no toxicity significance of any kind. The study used national data collected by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
In 1975, the Consumer Product Safety Commission was petitioned by a citizen who demanded that poinsettias carry caution labels when sold to the public. After reviewing all available data, the Commission denied the petition stating that poinsettias are not poisonous.
As with any non-food product, however, the poinsettia is not meant to be eaten and can cause varying degrees of discomfort; therefore, the plant should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.