“Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne,” was presented by Herbert Bredemeier before the Fort Wayne Quest Club, 22 January 1966: Mr. Carl Detzer, now Roving Editor for Reader’s Digest, who worked under Journal Gazette Editor Andy Moynihan 1907-1908, told of this brief incident.
A reminder to fans of Abraham Lincoln—be sure to visit the History Center by May 16th to view the traveling exhibit, Faces of Lincoln, Part I. This exhibit demonstrates how photography helped define President Lincoln’s legacy.
The Faces of Lincoln: Lincoln and Indiana exhibitions from the
“Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne” was presented before the Fort Wayne Quest Club on January 28, 1966 by Herbert Bredemeier: Fort Wayne writers may not have attracted as much world attention as Joseph Pulitzer, William Randolph Hurst, Horace Greeley, Charles Dana, or James Bennet
From its beginnings, Fort Wayne has been a crossroads of commerce that attracted hard-working and visionary men and women. It became a major transportation center in the Midwest in the 19th century, setting the stage for a prolonged period of prosperity. The story of Indiana’s second-most
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne was presented before the Fort Wayne Quest Club on January 28, 1966 by Herbert Bredemeir: The German language newspapers in Fort Wayne played a vital role in introducing new immigrants to the ideals of democracy, its institutions and the American way of life. Men li
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne was written by Herbert C. Bredemeir, a long-time local journalist and presented before the Fort Wayne Quest Club on January 28, 1966: The Fort Wayne Times was a Whig paper and some of lawyer/editor Dawson’s antagonism toward President Lincoln may have been
The Police Museum opened to the public on October 20, 1985. It has hundreds of items on display and a large amount of reference material on hand.
The Museum is located at the old City Hall site at Barr and Berry Streets (302 East Berry). The main gallery for the Police Museum is located in the basement
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne written by long-time Fort Wayne Journalist, Herbert G. Bredemeir was presented before the Fort Wayne Quest Club 28 January 1966: The Fort Wayne Times, a Whig paper was established in 1841 by George W. Wood. There were 3,173 weekly’s published that year comp
Silver service created for Indiana battleship returns to Hoosier state for public display.
After 76 years at sea, the complete sterling silver service created for the USS Indiana in 1896 was reunited in a special ceremony at the Indiana War Memorial in Indianapolis. First Lady Cheri Daniel
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne is a continuation from an essay written by Herbert G. Bredemeir and presented to the Fort Wayne Quest Club 28 January 1966: Interested citizens of Fort Wayne in 1833 decided to invite Thomas Tigar and S.V.B. Noel to move from Indianapolis to Fort Wayne and start publ
A temporary art exhibition
Discover how a local Fort Wayne business rallied to promote the spirit of our country’s legacy!
When the business boom of the 1920s came to a crashing halt on October 29, 1929, more than America’s economy tottered on its foundation. The Great Depressi
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne is a continuation from an essay written by Herbert G. Bredemeir and presented to Fort Wayne’s Quest Club on January 28, 1966, it was later selected for publication in the Club’s book, “The Quest for Fort Wayne” An Anthology of Papers Abou
Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne; A continuation of Herbert G. Bredemeier’s story that he delivered before the Fort Wayne Quest Club on January 28, 1966: Settlers who had come from newspaper-endowed cities in the east brought their reading habit with them to the Western frontier (Indiana
On January 28, 1966 Herbert G. Bredemeier gave a lecture before the Fort Wayne Quest Club titled, “Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne.” The Fort Wayne Quest Club later selected his lecture for publication in their book titled The Quest for Fort Wayne. In the next several issues of The Wa
Donn P. Werling, executive director for the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, has announced his plans to retire effective November 30. The Society, commonly known as The History Center, oversees a museum in the old City Hall Building, the adjacent Barr Street Market, and the Chief Rich
The old Firehouse # 5 is looking like new. The oak doors have been striped and re-varnished and the 114 year-old bricks look like they were just laid yesterday.
An open house for the newly restored building was 4 PM to 6 PM, Tuesday, September 11, 2007.
The party drew many neighbors, as well as local
At the turn of the 20th century all segments of Indiana’s economy rapidly expanded because of the interurban! The copper, steel and heavy metal industries especially benefited from the construction and maintenance of interurban lines. Thousands of miles of copper wires were strung. Stee
The last Interurban run out of Fort Wayne took place on January 18, 1941. This magnificent, unique, transportation system, for more than four decades, had accommodated countless millions of men, women and children from all walks of life and with equal dignity; passed unobtrusively into the Valha
Henry Ford had produced ten million Model “T” Fords by 1924 and with Indiana’s improving road system the electric Interurban was nearing its end. The motor bus was the next major competitor to make the scene and it was independent of fixed rails; it provided additional flexibil
The USS Indianapolis (CA 35) Gallery at the Indiana War Memorial will be permanently opened to the public in a ceremony organized by the USS Indianapolis Navy Club beginning Monday, August 20 as part of Indianapolis Navy Week.
This 700 square foot Gallery, located on the first floor of the Indiana
Waynedale resident, Donald W. Waldron, was born August 21, 1925 in Hazelton, Pennsylvania and graduated from high school when he was seventeen. The year was 1943 and WWII was in full swing.
Don was making his living working in a machine shop but, most people in the area worked in the Pennsylvania coal
By 1914 interurban lines in Indiana totaled more than 2,318 miles of track. Indianapolis’ Traction Terminal building was on the corner of Illinois and Market Street and that was its hub. The interurban served every major community in the state except Bloomington, Madison and Vincennes.
The greatest early impetus to the Interurban industry came in 1895 when Henry A. Everett and Edward W. Moore built the Akron, Bedford and Cleveland, OH, A.B.C. line. It served a large populous area and became instantly profitable.
In 1896 the line netted $16,030, and even though this dropped to $8,9
A timber and debris dam had been constructed on the St. Joe River about 7 miles northeast of Fort Wayne to collect feed water for the Wabash and Erie Canal. The reservoir resulted in a beautiful lagoon surrounded by trees. The Citizens Street Railroad that became the Fort Wayne Street Railroad and
In 1887 ‘at the courthouse door’ the assets of the Citizen’s Street Railroad (CSR) were sold to John Bass, Steven Bond and Frank DeHaas Robinson who reorganized the company as the Fort Wayne Street Railroad. That same year C.L. Centlivre entered the street railroad business. S