A local celebrity, Isabel “Lefty” Alvarez, born in Havana, Cuba has been a Waynedale resident for as long as most people can remember. When she was 16, Isabel was the youngest Latina player to join the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). The women’s circuit born during World War II was made famous by the 1992 film ‘A League of Their Own.’
Isabel was a pitcher and played outfield from 1949 to 1954 for the Chicago Colleens, the Fort Wayne Daisies, the Battle Creek Belles, the Kalamazoo Lassies and the Grand Rapids Chicks. After the league folded in 1954, Isabel eventually settled in Fort Wayne and worked at General Electric until she retired.
Recently, the AAGPBL celebrated the 75th anniversary of the league’s first game on May 30, 1943, by recognizing all women (past and present) who are involved in baseball.
In Fort Wayne, the AAGPBL is holding a series of local and online fundraisers for Isabel “Lefty” Alvarez, who is now 84 years old and suffering from dementia. Living in a nursing home, she is no longer able to walk and the AAGPBL is asking for the public donations to help her purchase a handicap vehicle.
Ways you can donate to this cause include:
• On June 26, Isabel will be highlighted at Parkview Field, during the Tin Caps’ baseball game. The AAGPBL will be on-hand collecting donations.
• Until July 7, the public can donate online at www.gofundme.com/isabel-from-the-aagpbl
• Donations can be made as deposit at any Wells Fargo Bank in the “Isabel From The AAGPBL” account.
• Also accepting checks for this cause is Superior Van and Mobility, Attn: Brad Warpole, 2218 Contractors Way Fort Wayne, IN 46818. Check should be sent directly to Superior Van, with a memo line of “Van For Isabel”
> Read More Information About Us
> More Articles Written By Our Staff
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- RETIRED NBA STAR HELPS TO RAISE $418K FOR BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS - September 14, 2018
- READY-TO-BAKE APPLE DUMPLINGS, A SEASONAL TREAT! - September 14, 2018
- Mildred C. Steenman, 100 - September 14, 2018