FEMA GRANTS $1.12 MILLION TO CITY

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,122,208.50 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds to the city of Fort Wayne, Ind. for the acquisition of 20 homes in the floodplains of the St. Mary’s River and Junk Ditch.

“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said James K. Joseph, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“These Indiana communities are better prepared to protect their residents and their property with the generous support of these FEMA grants. We will continue to work with local governments across the state to identify ways to support the IDHS and federal mitigation strategies,” said Bryan Langley, executive director of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

PDM is a competitive grant program funded annually by Congress for mitigation projects identified by local and state governments. The funds are used to make improvements to public or private property and must provide long-term mitigation solutions to specific hazards and risks. Through PDM, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,496,278 eligible project cost for the acquisitions. The remaining 25 percent of the funds will be provided by the city of Fort Wayne ($191,538.50) and the Maumee River Basin Commission ($182,531).

The Waynedale News Staff

Our in-house staff works with community members and our local writers to find, write and edit the latest and most interesting news-worthy stories. We are your free community newspaper, boasting positive, family friendly and unique news.

> Read More Information About Us
> More Articles Written By Our Staff
The Waynedale News Staff

Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)

The Waynedale News Staff

Our in-house staff works with community members and our local writers to find, write and edit the latest and most interesting news-worthy stories. We are your free community newspaper, boasting positive, family friendly and unique news. > Read More Information About Us > More Articles Written By Our Staff