The first edition of The Waynedale News came out on September 2nd, 1932. The name of the paper at that time was The Waynedale Press. Arden McCoy was the editor and the paper was a single sheet measuring 15X10 inches. Noble’s Food Store was the main advertiser. They listed Hershey Cocoa at 1 pound for 17 cents and Camay Toilet Soap at 5 cents per bar. Potatoes were 7.5 cents a peck and 25 cents per bushel.
In a small corner of that first paper was a note from the local businessmen. It said, “This is surely a big moment for we ‘old timers’ of Waynedale. This is the first edition of The Waynedale Press and is something quite beyond our fondest dreams. We wish the owner success and pledge our support morally, physically and financially”. They could not have known the trials and tribulations that would follow over the next 71 years.
From an infant to a revered senior citizen The Waynedale News continues to grow and give. Its creation was inspired by civic leaders who felt it was necessary to keep the fledgling community up-to-date on area news.
Arden McCoy, a former native of Iowa, set up shop in his garage in the 6800 block of Old Trail Road. Every Monday, Arden, with the help of his family, published The Waynedale Press. His sons, Vic and Bob McCoy served as the paperboys, while daughters Vivian (McCoy) Shaffner, Phyllis (McCoy) Parrish and Iowa (McCoy) Stabler tapped out their journalistic and administrative talents. McCoy, in 1933, purchased an interurban rail car, located it behind what is now Umber’s Hardware, and moved the newspaper to its new, expanded home.
Thirteen years after The Waynedale Press’ introduction into the community, Arden McCoy announced his plans of moving to Warren, Indiana and Richard Kahlenbeck revived the publication as The Herald.
In 1957 Ed Noble Jr. turned inspiration into motivation. With the support of the Waynedale community, he and the Waynedale Chamber of Commerce contacted Jim Ransdell, publisher of The Roanoke Review and Time Corners Suburban. On November 29, 1957 their efforts paid off and Ransdell published the very first Waynedaler. The paper was published bi-weekly and distributed to 3,000 homes.
In 1962 Jim Noble joined the staff at The Waynedaler as advertising manager. Keeping ties with The Roanoke Review, he established an office at 2700 Lower Huntington Road (present location of The Waynedale News).
The Waynedaler adapted to change, and in June 1967 became known as The Waynedaler-Suburbian. In August of 1967 Noble changed the name to The Waynedale News and kept the publication alive for the next 19 years. Due to failing health, Jim Noble published his last issue on January 16, 1986.
Local businessman Jim Imel picked up the reins and began publication June 8th, 1986. Jim and Shirley Imel hired Gerry Walicki who edited the paper until Gerry’s death in 1998.
Bob Stark, purchased the paper in January of 2000.
The Waynedale News has evolved from a black and white paste-up tab to its present form a 25″ four-color broadsheet. It is now distributed to 11,000 people on the southwest side of Fort Wayne.
The Waynedale News continues to function with the care, dedication, and hard work of Associate Editors Cindy Cornwell and Ray McCune, and Graphics Artist, Rob Jackson. The long ago pledged support of local businessmen and subscriptions from local patrons provides a billboard for the exchange of ideas and ideals. The Waynedale News gives us a voice with which to exchange information within the ever-growing community of Waynedale.
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- NATIONAL RADON ACTION MONTH - January 31, 2020
- AIR PLANTS PULL NUTRIENTS FROM AIR – Green-Thumb Gardener - January 31, 2020
- CONGRATULATIONS TO FORT WAYNE UNITED DIRECTOR IRIC HEADLEY - January 31, 2020