September is National Preparedness Month, and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) encourages Hoosier families to take the necessary steps to make sure households are prepared for all types of disasters.
“Preparation can help mitigate the effects and stress caused by any disaster or emergency,” said David Hosick, communications director for IDHS. “Indiana is prone to many different types of severe weather all throughout the year. Taking the time to learn how to prepare for an emergency can greatly increase your chances of staying safe.”
National Preparedness Month is the perfect opportunity for Hoosiers to learn lifesaving skills, such as CPR and first aid, how to check insurance policies for common hazards and how to make and practice a household emergency plan. Tornadoes, fires, snow and severe flooding are common occurrences to Hoosiers. Knowing how to stay prepared for these types of situations will not only minimize the effects, but also save lives.
Some helpful safety tips to consider are:
• Become aware of disasters that could occur in the local area. Learn what to look for and what to avoid in each
• Discuss possible emergency scenarios with family members. Include events such as fires, natural disasters and man-made disasters. Make sure everyone in the family or workplace knows the steps involved in responding to these
• Establish meeting locations in the event of a potential disaster, and make sure all family members and employees are aware of them
• Create a list of emergency contacts, and share it with family members and friends
National Preparedness Month also emphasizes the importance of creating and updating an emergency disaster kit. For more information on how to craft an effective emergency kit and emergency plan, visit GetPrepared.in.gov.
Hoosiers are encouraged to follow IDHS on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram during September to learn more best practices on how to be prepared before a disaster strikes.
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- NATIONAL RADON ACTION MONTH - January 31, 2020
- AIR PLANTS PULL NUTRIENTS FROM AIR – Green-Thumb Gardener - January 31, 2020
- CONGRATULATIONS TO FORT WAYNE UNITED DIRECTOR IRIC HEADLEY - January 31, 2020