The poinsettia is the most widely tested consumer plant on the market today, proving the myth about the popular holiday plant to be false:
History and Legend
Poinsettia Care Tips
Society of American Florists
1601 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
With the permission from the Society of American Florist Association, I again give you the proof you need to feel safe from the rumors that insist poinsettias are poisonous…they are not poisonous. Scientific research from The Ohio State University has proved the poinsettia to be non-toxic to both humans and pets. All parts of the plant were tested, including the leaves and sap. According to POISINDEX, the National information center for poison control centers, a child would have to ingest 500-600 leaves in order to exceed the experimental doses that found no toxicity.
A study from the Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University found that out of 22,793 reported poinsettia exposures there was essentially no toxicity significance of any kind. The study used national data collected by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
As with any non-food product, however, the poinsettia is not meant to be eaten and can cause varying degrees of discomfort; therefore, the plant should be kept out of the reach of children.
> Read More Information About Us
> More Articles Written By Our Staff
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- LOCAL YOUNG LADY COMPETES FOR 2018 MISS TEEN TITLE - April 13, 2018
- REST IN PEACE NEMO - April 13, 2018
- SONS OF THE AMERICAN LEGION POST #241 DONATES TO BOY SCOUTS - April 13, 2018